Varsity, Yardling Wrestling Teams Meet Yale Today

Since 1936, no Crimson varsity wrestling team has been able to defeat Yale. Coach Bob Pickett has lost one meet to Yale so far, but when his underdog squad meets the Elis at 4 p.m. today in the Blockhouse he thinks an upset could be within striking distance.

In the preliminary, Howie Houston's freshmen will meet the Blue yearlings at 2 p.m.

The varsity has been on a steady downgrade since the middle of the season, when it gained four consecutive wins. After that, it drew with Springfield and dropped three successive contests.

Both Yale and the Crimson lost to Brown, Army, and Columbia by fairly decisive scores. The Elis were also defeated by Springfield, 14 to 13. On the other hand, Yale has upset Princeton and Lehigh, a perennial mat power.

Pickett's lineup will be the strongest he has had this season, with Captain Johnny Lee, in top shape, at 123, Frank Dewar at 130, and Bud Adams returning at 137.

Icko Iben at 147 will face a tough opponent in Eli senior Fred Pettit, while Chick Chandler should have little trouble at 157.

The Elis have the bulk of their power in the heavy classes, which include Bill Downey at 167, Captain George Graveson, who has lost only one match this season, at 177, and Art Merriman at heavyweight. They will oppose Tony Caimi, Dick Farrington, and George Bates.