Buck Announces Four Burr Tutors

More House Deans To Be Added Later

Provost Buck yesterday announce the appointment of four Allston Burr Senior Tutors to carry out the new program of House-centered advising and tutorial.

The four are Ayers Brinser '31, lecturer on Economics and Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Kirkland House; Daniel S. Cheever '39, assistant professor of Government and new Senior Tutor of Winthrop; John J. Conway, instructor in General Education and new tutor at Eliot; and Joseph C. Palamountain, Jr. assistant professor of Government and Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Adams.

The other four Allston Burr Senior Tutors will probably be appointed at the next meeting of the Overseers late this spring.

The new Tutors will be responsible for the advising of members of the Houses of individual problems and also for the development of the new tutorial plant recently voted by the faculty.

Individual Tutoring

Under the new plans, every sophomore and junior in the five largest fields of special study will receive individual tutoring. The Allston Burr Senior Tutors also will sit on the Administrative Board.

Brinser is the author of several books and has served as consultant to the National Resources Planning Board, the Office of Price Administration and the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. He has been teaching and conducting research at the College since 1948, and received a Ph.D. degree in 1951. He is now Acting Secretary of the Graduate School of Public Administration.

Cheever, Conway, Palamountain

Cheever graduated from the College in '39 and returned here for advanced study after the war. He received his Ph.D. in 1948 and has been teaching in the International Affairs Program since then.

Conway received a Ph.D. in 1949, and has been teaching in General Education and in History and Literature. He was born in Vancouver, B.C., and graduated from the University of British Columbia and the Vancouver Law School.

Palamountain was graduated from Dartmouth in 1942 and, following the war, took up graduate study and teaching at Harvard. He received a Ph.D. in Political Economy and Government in 1951.