Radcliffe Council Drops Plans for New G.E. Course

Radcliffe's Student Council yesterday put its proposed "Great Issues" course into cold storage.

After speaking to members of the faculty and the Harvard Committee on General Education, a Council committee decided that the course as planned is too nebulous and superficial.

The Council voted to drop the plan indefinitely, but appointed Margaret B. Brown '54 to hold the report and "keep an unofficial interest in the course."

The suggested course, similar to one at Dartmouth, would have been a full-year upper class General Education survey on current religious, political, and social problems. Reading assignments would have been taken from recent periodicals.

Elizabeth T. Fast '52 and Ann B. Hopkins '54, who made up the committee said that faculty members at first saw in the plan "projections of their own ideas of an ideal course." Later and more objective views of the proposal found it too loosely organized.

The Council last year proposed the course to fill what it considered a gap in General Education. Since the faculty has already expanded its G.E. program, the Council finds it suggestion unnecessary