Brown Indicates Arena Might Still House College Six

By George S. Abrams

Walter A. Brown, Chairman of the Garden-Arena Corporation, last night indicated that there was "still a fairly good chance" that the Arena might be able to provide much-needed ice for college and high school hockey next year.

Brown, who had earlier this year announced that such groups would probably have to find new skating facilities, stated that recent developments had somewhat altered the situation. He added, however, that nothing definite would be known until later this spring.

The new developments occurred during the past two weeks. At a meeting of local high school hockey coaches and league presidents, Brown outlined the problems facing the Garden-Arena Corporation on this matter.

The main hindrance to the continuance of the existing hockey set-up is that the new state Fitzgerald Highway is expected to run through the present Arena ice-plant. The state has bought the building containing the plant and indicated that it would be torn down. No substitution for the present system could be found, according to Brown, and hence it appeared high school and college hockey would have to go elsewhere.

A committee which was formed following Brown's explanation, presented a petition to Governor Dever asking the state to by-pass the building if possible. Dever agreed to aid in the matter, and stated that everything possible would be done to save high school and college hockey at the Arena.

Latest indications are that the fate of the ice-plant will probably be decided by a Legislative sub-committee. Two members of the legislature yesterday stated that there was a good chance that such a sub-committee would be able to save the plant.

When informed of the possibility of Arena ice next year, George W. Chase '53, head of a student committee to organize support for construction of a new hockey rink, issued the following statement: "This possibility may remove the critical satuation for next year, but may desire and that of the rest of the committee is still for a Harvard hockey rink. In the event no rink is possible for Harvard next year. I certainly hope we can count on Walter Brown."

Chase indicated that he hopes the student petition presented to the overseers yesterday will favorably influence the University's plan on a new hockey rin