Schools Issue Splits Opinion In University

Auer Upholds Conant Stand; President of Catholic Group Supports Views of Cushing

A professor of Divinity and the president of the Catholic Club took opposite positions yesterday concerning the clash between Archbishop Cushing and President Conant, but there still appears to be a comparatively small amount of outspoken opinion here on the issue.

Only a few faculty members have been willing to express their views. Among them is Johannes A. C. F. Auer, professor of Church History and Park-man Professor of Theology, who said that a unified system of education is better for this country than the present system.

Auer said a strengthened public education system would "prevent division of the country into more groups than there are already." Conant expressed the same view in his April 1 speech.

Catholic Club president Thomas L. Barrette '52 said last night that "Conant's proposed control of education comes dangerously close to the principles advocated in Germany by the Nazis in the 1930's." Most student organizations, however, have been reluctant to voice opinions on the controversy.

Conant was attacked by two Yale faculty members on Wednesday, Dean William C. DeVane stated that private schools have a definite place in education, while the Rev. John C. Murray, visiting professor of philosophy, claimed "all schools, public and private, should be allowed to function."