Stassen Reveals Main Campaign Issue

Harold E. Stassen asserted that foreign policy is the main issue in the impending presidential race. "A successful foreign policy for the next four years is more important than what happens to me or any other individual," he said Friday afternoon in a talk sponsored by the Young Republican Club.

Stassen lashed out at the Administration's softness towards Communism and imperialism, and suggested a more intelligent, comprehensive but budgeted program of economic aid to underdeveloped nations.

The Chancellor of the University of Pennsylvania called the Korean conflict "the result of a long series of errors since World War II." He claimed large numbers of Red troops are dissatisfied and would like to give up, but will not surrender to white soldiers. "We should begin to bring some Chinese Nationalist troops up to the line in Kores," he declared.

About the National scene, Stassen said, "If we grant Truman the right to seize the steel industry, then there is no logical stopping place." He thought that the Supreme Court eventually would decide against the president's steel seizure.

Attacking the Universal Military Training bill as unnecessary and undesirable under present conditions, he said, "We must not have the arbitrary authority of the military over the youth of the land." As an alternative to the present bill, he suggested that men be allowed to choose a period to serve any time between their 17th and 27th birthdays.

Wants Diplomatic Academy

"We should establish an academy of diplomacy to take its place alongside West Point and Annapolis," Stassen said, decrying the low caliber of our diplomatic corps. Because of the lack of adequately trained foreign service personnel "some nephew of a senator, who hardly knows how to get out of the rain, often gets a vacant position."

Asked if he would swing his delegates (currently numbering 22) to Dwight D. Eisenhower at the July nominating convention, if he could not be nominated. Stassen replied that his delegates would be "free agents." He added, however-that 90 percent of them favored Ike, next to himself.