Track Men Score 82-58 Win Over Rhode Island

Ed Grutzner, Ronie Berman, and Pete Dow turned in top performances as the varsity track, team scored a surprisingly close 82 to 58 win over the University of Rhode Island in the Stadium Saturday. The freshmen, at the same time, were recording their second straight outdoor win by defeating Phillips Academy, 76 to 50, at Andover.

Grutzner had to run a 49.4 quarter mile to edge out Rhode Island's Joe Pizzo in the day's beat varsity race. Grutzner trailed until the next to last turn, but then moved out in front and held off Pizzo to the tape.

Berman lost the 880 lead after the first lap but came back in the last 300 yards to win easily by 15 yards over Dick Conde of the Rams. Berman's time was a very good 57.4.

Dow was the Crimson's top scorer with ten points. After gaining a decisive 10.2 100-yard dash win, he proceeded to upset favored Bob Twitchell in the 220. Due to an unfavorable wind, the time was a disappointing 22.6.

Injuries to Captain Bill Geick and Charlie Durakis kept the score of the meet closer than expected. Both men pulled leg muscles.

The freshmen experienced a good deal of difficulty before defeating Andover. The Blue scored heavily in the hammer, javelin, pole vault, and broad jump, but could not gather enough seconds and thirds in the other events to upset the Yardlings. Bob Rittenberg picked up 12 points, while Alan Howe, Dave Ingle, and Lee Hurd each scored eight.