The Women

At Agassiz Theatre

By Stephen Stamatopulos

The Idler Players have given life and zest to Claire Booth Luce's witty comedy, The Women. True, there is little originality in the plot which concerns woman's unceasing efforts to hold on to her husband. But an enthusiastic cast, headed by Sandi Rosman as Mary and Sheila Flaherty as Sylvia, has made it an amusing and, at times, very funny play.

The main strand in The Women revolves around the attempts of Mary Haynes to win back her erring husband, who has taken up with a peroxide siren, Crystal Allen, portrayed by Dani Holmgren with just the right nonchalance. Around this situation a succession of humorous characters, ranging from a Countess to a cigarette girl, parade on and off the stage to the delight of everyone. On reflection, they seem stereotyped; perhaps Miss Luce meant them to be that way, for The Women is primarily a satire on drawing-room women of manners and many men.

Sandi Rosman gives a convincing and reassured performance of the harassed Mary; Sheila Flaherty is perfect in the role of the not-too-helpful busybody and her sense of timing is expert. Teaming up with Abby Smith as Miriam, she puts on a spitfight in the second act which is frighteningly authentic.

A word must be said about the scenery; it is simple and economical but effective, especially in the exercise room scene. The whole production staged by Emerson Boardman is fast-moving; changes of scene proceed with professional dispatch. The Idler Players will present The Women again this evening.