Crimson Crews Sweep MIT In 100th Season Openers

April showers drizzled steadily Saturday afternoon while an assortment of three heavy and three lightweight Crimson crews paddled to easy victories over their M.I.T. opposition. A sparse gathering of loyal fans peered through the greyness and delivered itself of most cheers. Thus began Harvard's 100th year of rowing.

The varsity heavies coasted in ahead of Tech by almost two lengths, having eight minutes and 59 seconds to row the mile and three-quarter course, a respectable time. That the varsity covered the course in 17 seconds more than the Crimson second boat was probably the most significant development of the afternoon, since in practice, the distinction between the first, second, and third boats has often been obscure.

It was, withal, an entirely satisfactory day for Harvey Love, the new head coach, and Bill Leavitt, the freshman coach. The '55 boat won by about three lengths, navigating the distance in 9:11.

Shortly before their triumph, the first year men elected their stroke, Leonard Wheeler of Cambridge their captain.

150's Impressive

The J.V. heavies won almost as handily as the freshmen, going over the finish line at a relaxed 34 and a good three lengths ahead of the Tech boat which was waving the air frantically at about a 38 stroke.

Nor did the varsity have to sprint. Both first boats good starts, Tech staying even for about half a mile. Then the Crimson began to inch ahead, going through the Harvard bridge, the mile marker, the Crimson grabbed lead of almost a length. Tech tried to come back by using a big ten, but stratagem helped the Engineers scarcely at all. The smooth stroking varsity pulled out steadily for the remainder of the race.

The varsity 150's, helped by the mild favoring breeze, clipped 37 seconds off their last weeks' clocking over the mile and five-sixteenths Henley distance, lead. ing Tech in by at least three lengths.

Stroke Dick Lincoin paced the 'fifties well in the third race of the afternoon, as Tech began falling behind from the start, even though it steadied at least two beats over the Crimson's 31. Harvard had two lengths at the bridge, two and one half at the mile, over three at the finish, clocking 6:65 to Tech's 7:08.

It was Bert Haines' freshman crew, however, that provided the most exciting race of the afternoon. They managed to pull out about a deck length over M.I.T. at the bridge, but couldn't increase the margin.

Neither Tabor not Tech could keep up with the Crimson in the Jayvee race. They won easily in the fine time of 6:56.0, with the Engineers edging Tabor for second, over three lengths out