Council Report Praises Role Of Extra-Curricular Affairs

Working towards a projected survey on the "Whole Man" at Harvard, the Student Council last night considered a report on the role of extra-curricular activities at the University.

Harvey Robinson '52, chairman of the committee responsible for the report, stated that the 62-page report is only a guide to more extensive surveys.

In emphasizing the importance of the role that extra-curricular activities play in the creation of the "Whole Man," the report states that "they lead to maturity, which makes education of any sort more valuable. Second, many of them both augment and balance the lecture hall. . . Third, they offer fun and relaxation."

Robinson's committee found that 22 percent of those participating in extra-curricular activities have some regrets as to having joined in, but that 92 percent felt that "a person should participate."

"This is particularly interesting," the report adds, "inasmuch as it includes a number of persons who, for one reason or another, have not participated in any activities. Only four percent of the respondents felt activities to be "childish, noisy, and generally worthless."

Used Interviews, Questionnaires

The Committee used two methods of gathering information; one was by direct interview, the other through questionnaires. Robinson reported that the questionnaires distributed to Lowell House were discounted because they were not ready on time.

Commuters, the report disclosed, are not apt to be found in "bobby talent activities, social activities, or in publications." The report decides, however, as a commuter did, that "both sides over-emphasize the supposed differences between us."

Scholarship students indicated a disassociation with extra-curricular activities because of lack of time more than did tuition-paying students. As for non-participants, the report states that. "Their reasons for not participating are a combination of particular personality and environmental factors that vary from individual to individual."

The report found that "most close friends are not gained through participation in activities." In the Interviews, we found also that this was the case. The activities of many friends seem to differ considerably.