Hopper Suggests Dep't of Science

Stressing the importance of technological advances to keep the balance of power from weighing against us, Bruce C. Hopper, associate professor of government, suggested that a Department of Science, possibly with President Conant as Secretary, should be created.

The advantage of such a Cabinet post would be to "implement the advances of science into world politics, immediately. Perhaps preventing total war, he said.

Tiger Hunters

"We have to know our Allies," Hopper stated. "We've got to have people who will hunt tigers with us." Saying that we lost our natural allies in enemy countries in the last World War by saturation bombing techniques, he added, "I believe that the atom bomb should not have been dropped."

On the same foreign policy panel, Harvard Bundy, formerly of the Hoover Commission, declared, "I'm certain that the seizure (steel) was a foreign policy decision." Asked if he condoned the Truman action, he answered, "I hate the idea."

Bundy also plugged a special coordinating secretariat in the President's office, to keep committees from bogging down.