Political Clubs to Work at Polls In Massachusetts Primary Today

Members of the Eisenhower, Taft, and Kefauver for President clubs will be working throughout the Boston area today during the Massachusetts presidential primary, in an attempt to swing the crucial state delegation behind their candidate.

Each club will have men working at the polls handing out leaflets, and getting out the vote through phone calls and door to door canvassing.

Cambridge's Eisenhower club members, canvassing in the fourth ward last night, reported overwhelming support for Ike.

A forecast of cold, drizzling weather will dampen chances for the predicted record turnout of voters. Some estimates had been as high as 400,000, compared to the 1948 total of 123,000.

Republicans will elect a 38 man delegation. Only 28 seats, two from each of the 14 districts, will be in contention. The remaining ten delegates, two for Ike, two for Taft, and six unpledged, have already been elected by the state committee.

Taft is the only Republican candidate whose name appears on the ballot after his delegates' names. Although Eisenhower's name is not included, there is a set of candidates in each district pledged to the General. In three districts there are slates backing General MacArthur.

On the Democratic side, only a small part of the 72 man delegation is contested. Sixteen unpledged at-large delegates picked by the state committee are unopposed, while in five districts the district slates are unopposed; in others they are opposed by unpledged candidates, and in the tenth district by a slate pledged to Kefauver.