Grid Hopefuls Hear Jordan

Candidates for the 1952 Crimson varsity football team, over 100 strong, assembled at the Varsity Club last night to hear Coach Lloyd Jordan explain adjustments to be made for the coming season, in view of the Ivy Group decision to abandon spring practice.

Coach Jordan told the players that conditioning would now, of necessity, be left to the individual. He did not advise any specific training program or spring sport in which to participate. He did recommend, however, that each man play that sport which holds some particular interest for him, and "to give that sport 100 percent effort."

Banning of spring practice, said Jordan, would eliminate the "get-acquainted" period, when the coaching staff ordinarily got to know the freshman team of the previous year. Freshman and junior varsity players who are varsity candidates will now, more than ever, have to beat out established players for starting assignments.

In previous years, the spring practice period enabled the coaching staff to look over the available material and try the men at various positions. Fall would be the time in which candidates who had been assigned to certain positions would compete for the right to start.

Players will be allowed to draw uniforms and pads for voluntary individual spring workouts, although Jordan said he would advise against practicing in full uniform. "A sweatsuit, helmet, and shoulder pads ought to be enough," he remarked.

Under the new Ivy Group ruling, coaches will not be allowed to be present at such voluntary exercises, Jordan told the team. However, they would be available to those players who wish individual instruction and explanations. Coaches are not allowed to call general meetings or to take the field with the team.

Practice for the 1952 season will begin September 4, with the team to be housed in the Indoor Athletic Building, instead of Dillon Field House, as last year. About 75 players, who will form the varsity and the nucleus of the J.V. eleven, will be invited back early