Underdog Track Team Opposes Yale

Figures Give Eli Squad 15-Point Advantage, But Crimson Hopes to Repeat '51 Upset

By George S. Abrams

Yale's well-balanced track team will be a decided favorite to end the Crimson's undefeated season at 1:30 p.m. today in the Stadium. Yet Harvard was an underdog last Spring and wound up on the long end of a 72-68 score.

The Blue, on comparative times and distances, figures to win by anywhere from five to 15 points, but chances are the Elis will have to be in top form to turn the paper figuring into reality.

Todd Lewis appears likely to do the most damage to Crimson hopes. The lanky Yale senior last week tied the all-time Yale 100-yard dash record of 9.7 and then ran a 21.5 220 an hour later. Bob Twitchell, who will compete in four events, and sophomore Pete Dow could beat the fleet Lewis but will have to turn in their best performances of the year to do it. In the broad jump, however, injured Captain Bill Geick and Bob Mello aren't likely to be able to better Lewis's 24-feet jumping.

Yale's sophomore Mike Stanley will have a hard time repeating the double win he made indoors. Ronnie Berman hasn't been beaten this year in the 880 and somehow always manages to have enough life in the stretch to edge out his opponent. And Dave Cairns appeared to be getting back into his old form against Dartmouth last Saturday and should be able to give Stanley a good battle in the mile.

Dole v. Gregory

The two-mile will probably develop into a duel between Dave Gregory of the Crimson and Yale's George Dole. On paper, Dole looks like a winner because of his more consistent performances.

The hurdles, 440, and relay will be crucial to the Crimson. Sid Williams of Yale could win both hurdle events, but Harvard will be counting on Charlie Durakis and Twitchell to upset him. Much will depend on how Durakis shakes off his two week lay-off (due to an injury) and just how tired Twitchell is from the sprints.

Grutzner Favored

Ed Grutzner should win the quarter without much trouble, with the Crimson hoping for a possible sweep in this event. Both John Pachard and Berman will probrably run; either is capable of beating Yale's top man, John Meader. The relay appears to be a toss-up.

In the field events the Crimson will be relying heavily on Bob Ray, Phil Pratt, Fred Raverby, Bob Mello, Dick Barwise, and Bob Curran. Ray will have to better his best spring mark in the shot to beat Yale's Phil Swett and Roy Meyers. Pratt and Ravreby could win the discus and javelin respectively, while Mello is expected to take the pole vault.

Curran Could Upset

Yale will probably score heavily in the hammer and high jump. The Hipple twins and Al Timmins all cleared 6 feet, 1 inch against Princeton last week, while Yale's hammer contingent of Joe Chadbourne, Ted Ross, and Jim Mason have all been consistently outdistancing the Crimson's Curran and Whitey Black. Curran, however, is capable of pulling an upset provided he overcomes fouling trouble.

On paper it looks like Yale, but, then, it did last year, too.