Conant to Dedicate Plaque For Agassiz Station Today

President Conant will dedicate the George R. Agassiz Station of the Harvard Observatory this afternoon and unveil an bronze plaque in memory of the former Overseer.

The Observatory's director, Harlow Shapley Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy will also speak at the ceremonies which begin at 4:15 p.m. at the astronomical station.

The plaque commemorates. "The Life long Interest in Harvard University and the Observatory of George R. Agassiz 1862-1951. Member and President of the Board of Overseers; President Harvard Alumni Association." It is fixed to a large boulder in a grove of trees by the station's entrance road.

The Agassiz station built in 1932 is the Observatory's main Northern Hemisphere observation post. Agassiz as a member of the Overseers committee to visit the astronomical department and the Observatory was closely associated with its planning and construction.

Agassiz Cottage a recreation house for the Observatory staff was one of his many gifts to the University. He also recently gave a new super nova search camera now under construction. It is hoped that the new camera will enable astronomers to discover exploding stars in other galaxies.

In 1927 Agassiz established the Agassiz Research Fellowship for the training of promising advanced students of astronomy.

Agassiz died in his home in Dedham on February 5, 1951.