The Water Cure

In its death struggle with the microbes of Communist blight, the free world has been suffering from a severe handicap. Democratic nations strained themselves to the breaking point to produce arms for defense. The American Congress appropriated millions for foreign aid. Powerful radio transmitters reached behind the iron curtain and told the truth about our many freedoms and our high standard of living. But still people kept going Communist and, until last Monday, Communism was the world's strongest ideology.

But on Monday the Communist spell was broken. It was smashed by an American citizen, one who possessed more than the ordinary amount of courage and extraordinary insight. The nation owes a great debt to this citizen--Florence Birmingham of Massachusetts. For it was this Florence Birmingham who revealed to the Cambridge City Council on Monday just how the Communist schemers weakened people's minds and made them susceptible to Stalinist germinology. The secret Red Tactic was--fluorination of our drinking water. And, according to Florence, this same subtle technique (urged so strongly by our "loyal" medical profession) not only weakened people's minds--it also caused cancer of the breast!

Thanks to Florence Birmingham, Cambridge will be saved from Communism. Salvation will come at the expense of our children's teeth of course, but this is a small price to pay. One can only hope that our power-mad President and that cookie pushing sisterhood in the State Department will look to Cambridge, and learn. Then perhaps, on some happier day, the Free World will give a vote of thanks to Cambridge, and Florence Birmingham.