300 Wellesley Seniors Run In Traditional Hoop Classic

By Walter W. Bregman

Imitating an old Hopi Indian fertility rite, 300 eager, but determined Wellesley seniors weathered competition from outsiders and other obstacles to take part in the annual May Day hoop race yesterday.

The seniors, according to a Waban custom, must roll their hoops over a course a quarter of a mile long; the winner being the one most likely to marry first. Though somewhat tamer than the Indian ritual, the Wellesley version is very similar.

Quiet Beginning

This morning's race began unimpressively at 6:30 a.m. when a number of bleary-eyed sophomores scrambled to save places in line for their senior "big sisters." This pre-game performance went unnoticed by the more than 1000 people who assembled to witness the main event.

At 7:30 a.m. the seniors massed at the post to await the starting whistle. For the first hundred yards an unidentified male wearing a coonskin coat and a beanie led the runners. But he and the whole field had to give way to a skillful roller from West Newton named Mary Lou Lyon, who, though starting in the third file, had the skill and luck to outlast her classmates in the grueling grind.

Harvard Men Beaten

Two Harvard men disguised as contestants were nearing the finish line when they were attacked by swarms of Waban freshmen. William E. McCurdy, Jr. '53 was leading the field, but was tripped by a girl, receiving minor cuts and bruises, and thrown into the lake. David A. Watts, Jr. '53, though escaping a dunking in Lake Waban, was assaulted by scores of enraged freshmen.

Following the race, President Margaret Clapp gave a speech which was inaudible due to a defective public address system.

To end the festivities a group of sophomores sang a number of parody songs accompanied by card displays.