House Chairmen Hand Riot Complaint to Dean

Bender Gets Report Blaming Policemen

Four House chairmen yesterday presented Dean Bender with a report written by all the chairmen and placing the blame for the Harvard Square riot directly with the police.

Both Bender and Provost Buck were in St. Louis for the Associated Harvard Clubs meeting during the riot. Bender, who returned Monday, told the chairmen that he was investigating the matter thoroughly, and that each individual case would be studied before any recommendations were made.

Directly after the interview, Bender met with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Mark Gibson '52, Chairman of Adams House, reported last night that "he (Bender) was very appreciative of the report," and that "it was good to get the recommendation before him" despite Bender's unwillingness to commit himself on it.

The report threw some of the responsibility for the "student mistreatment" onto University Hall, claiming that one reason for the mistreatment was the absence of a responsible official from the Dean's Office at the riot "In such a case as this," the report said, "it should be the obligation of the College to protect the welfare of the students."

The University was represented at the riot by only one policeman. Chief Randall himself, along with several Yard proctors.

HLU Protests

Adding its protest to those of the chairmen and the Student Council, the Executive Board of the H.L.U. yesterday condemned the methods of the police in Thursday's riot as a "violation of civil liberties," and asked the Cambridge Civic Association to take action against those particular policemen whom eyewitnesses have identified as being especially brutal. The Executive Board declared, "There is no difference between a violation of civil liberties at the precinct level and a violation on the floors of Congress, and we oppose both of them."