Cambridge Nurse Who Saw 'Riots' Describes Scene

In the latest letter on last Thursday's disturbance to reach the CRIMSON offices, a Cambridge nurse who wishes her name to be withheld for fear of "reprisals" writes that "the whole thing was a personal attack on Harvard."

"I was a spectator at the so-called 'riot' in Harvard Square last Thursday evening and haven't yet gotten over the effects of what I saw. . . . I should say that I am a fifty-year-old woman who has been a nurse for 20 years and is used to upsetting situation. As I sum it up, the Cambridge police HATE the Harvard boys with a vicious, brutish hatred. It was so obvious a child could see it, but of course, the boys had to suffer....

Courteous Attitude

"What really impressed me more than anything else was the demeanor of that large group of Harvard boys . . . with their and courteous attitude. Harvard should be proud of such a magnificent group of young men.

Everything was in the spirit of good clean fun until the men from Mars arrived and swooped down grabbing everyone. . . . Their treatment of the boys was horrible (it made me sick): they were beaten, dragged, and kicked. Sticks were used, and often (don't let anyone tell you they weren't). The maniacs ran right and left without a purpose, hatred and satisfaction written all over their leery faces, exercising their rights (?) as purveyors of the so-called 'law'.

"The whole thing, to my mind, was a personal attack on Harvard, and I hope those wonderful boys are strong enough to come out on top, and if Harvard won't sponsor them, I will."