2 Cantabrigians Write To Compliment Police

The flow of letters into the CRIMSON building claiming the student arrests at the Pogo rally in the Square May 15 were "unnecessary" continued yesterday, but in the columns of a Boston newspaper two Cambridge residents spoke up complimenting the Cambridge police for their work.

"I saw nothing to warrant the arrest of four or five boys which I witnessed" said Union Cohen a Brookline resident following the general trend of commentary on the affair. "I didn't see the need of manhandling the boys who were arrested... The behavior of the police was a disgrace to the city of Cambridge."

In a letter to the Boston Globe, how ever, V.E. McGee of Cambridge wrote. "The officers of the Cambridge police department who took art in subduing and arresting the Harvard hoodlums disserve high praise for their excellent police work.

"Residents of Cambridge are sick and disgusted with these sporadic outbreaks perpetrated by supposedly intelligent adults... In this case the police should be commended."

Another letter writer remarked. "One must discount much of the comment written by the student magazine because over the past 45 years never once have they frowned upon the practice of students throwing bags of garbage on passersby.

An undergraduate in a letter to the CRIMSON suggested. "... It seems the least the CRIMSON can do is to carry the daily Pogo comic strip if for no other reason that to offer consolation to those undergraduates arrested." And in the first statement of opinion by a resident of the Annex. "A concerned "Cliffedweller" noted. "There's a quest for coed's panties. From Tufts to M.I.T. But only at fair Harvard. Could two thousand men agree WE GO POGO."