NOT GUILTY

The Editor's of the CRIMSON

Your editorial of April 30,1952, entitled "Guilty by NSA" has been brought to my attention.

I find it difficult to see how my statement, which could hardly be called a "directive," also could hardly be interpreted as encouraging a boycott against the National Conference for Academic Freedom, Equality, and Peace in Madison, Wisconson.

The statement was made because the sponsors of this meeting had used the name of the Association without permission in recruiting attendance of the Conference. I also thought it necessary to clarify the nature of the Conference in terms of general principles and in no way described the Conference as "leftist."

NSA did not attempt a "nation-wide boycott by college students against the Conference." In fact, as President of NSA, I encouraged students to attend the Conference as individual students who really believed in academic freedom, equality, and peace.

It seems that the editors of the CRIMSON, probably because of misinformation, Jumped at conclusions in accusing NSA of using the tacties of McCarthysim which it denounced at the last National Student Congress.

The editors will be glad to know that NSA will continue to practice what it preaches. Best wishes to you in the continued publication of your fine newspaper. William T. Dentzer   President. USNSA