Status Trophy Received by Inter-House Champion Eliot

By Richard A. Burgheim

Adolph W. Samborski, director of Intramural Athletics, presented the Straus Trophy to this year's champion Eliot House at dinner Tuesday evening. The Elephant win broke the three-year string of Kirkland, which was second by a scant 22 1/2 points this season.

The victory was Eliot's second in the 15-year history of the cup, which was been awarded annually since 1934 except during the war, Kirkland has held at eight times, Lowell three, and Leverett twice.

Not all of the races were as close as this year's however, as third place Leverett and fourth place Dunster were in contention for the championship up until the last two weeks. Dudley, which made a strong comeback after ending up last in 1950-51, finished right below the four bunched at the top. Winthrop, Lowell, and Adams followed, in that order.

Eliot gained the championship by virtue of wins in squash, swimming, wrestling, and crew, plus seconds in baseball, tennis, golf, and track. The Elephants clinched the trophy by beating Kirkland in a net match last Thursday.

The Deacons won basketball, fencing, and rowing singles, while placing in squash and volleyball and tying for second in crew. Football, baseball, and softball were taken by Leverett, which grabbed seconds in soccer, swimming, boxing and a tie in rowing singles.

Dunster led the league in volleyball, track and soccer and came in second in touch football, cross country, and fencing along with a tie in rowing singles. The Surprising Consumer teams triumphed to touch football, boxing, and golf, plus placing in basketball and hockey. The hockey title was won by Winthrop, which was also took seconds in wrestling and football and tied for first in crew.

In the ceremonies at Eliot Tuesday senior Dick Gotshalk received a cup as outstanding intramural athlete of the House. Final House Standings House  1951-52  1950-51 Eliot  1445  1399 1/2 Kirkland  1422 1/2  1507 1/2 Leverett  1393 1/2  1157 1/2 Dunster  1356  1080 Dudley  1176  22 1/2 Winthrop  1149 1/2  1113 1/2 Lowell  1104 1/2  1111 1/2 Adams  928  1212