Nine Wins 11-7 Opener from Elis, Misses Afterpiece, 2-0

The varsity baseball team split a doubleheader with Yale at New Haven Saturday, with the result that Stuffy McInnis' nine remained in fourth place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball Laegue standings and the Elis maintained their grip on the cellar. The Crimson won the first game, 11-7, with an eight-run explosion in the seventh inning, and then dropped the nightcap, 2-0, before the superb two-hit pitching of right-hander Chris Emerson.

For the first six innings, the opener was a tight pitchers' battle between Harvard's sophomore starter, John Arnold, and Yale's Dick Beresford, with each hurler giving up three runs.

In the seventh and last frame, however, the roof fell in on Beresford and two other Yale throwers. Twelve Crimson batters came to the plate and eight came across with runs. Contributing to the scoring spreed were five bases on balls, one error, solid singles by Ralph Robinson, Russ Johnson, and Arnold, and a two-run double down the left field line by Bernie Akillian.

Arnold weakened considerably in the last of the seventh, and Yale rallied to score four times on two triples, a hit batsman, and an error by Johnson--the only misplay by the Crimson in either contest.

The second game provided an altogether different story. Emerson, the Elis' big right-handed starter, held the visitors virtually helpless, limiting them to two blows, a fly ball double by Robinson and an infield single by Walsh. He threw a total of 70 pitches, an average of less than three per batter, and allowed only four bases to be hit beyond the infield.

John Donelan, Harvard's starter, also pitched well, but was the victim of bad luck in the first inning, when Yale pushed across its only runs on a walk, a triple by Captain Eddie McHugh, whose long drive to left center was misjudged by Dick Clasby, and a rundown several minutes later in which McHugh eluded Walsh's tag. After this, Donelan scattered four hits and showed excellent control