Corporation Refuses to Authorize Rink Drive

University Will Still Take Building Gifts

By David W. Cudhea

James R. Reynolds, Assistant to the President, yesterday announced that the Corporation decided Monday to refrain from authorizing any fund drive now for the construction of a hockey rind at the University.

However, Reynolds indicated that gifts from interested alumni would be welcomed by the Corporation, and if enough money comes in from that source Harvard will build a rink.

His statement yesterday was: "The Corporation has not authorized a came pain to raise money for a hockey rink But if groups of donors come forward with money to build and endow such a rink. I am sure the Corporation would not be opposed."

In the Dark

The announcement left several under graduates and alumni who were hoping for Corporation approval of their plans for a drive somewhat confused.

The group, which includes George W. Chase '53, Robert M. Weias '54, William L. Bliss '52, and, unofficially, Alexander H. Bright '19, will meet Thursday with Reynolds and Thomas D. Bolles, athletic director, in an attempt to figure out their future course of action. According to Chase, who heads an undergraduate committee which three weeks ago presented a petition for a rink, signed by over 1800 students, to the Overseers, his group had intended to seek the necessary $600,000 in a drive from hockey alumni, if the Corporation gave its approval.

"I can have no comment until after this Thursday's meeting," Bright said when contacted last night, but both he and Chase indicated that they may decide to conduct unofficial agitation in order to raise the necessary funds. The group has not had, and will not have any plans to solicit funds from students in the College now, according to Chase.

First Official Statement

Reynold's statement for the Corporation was the first definite announcement of the Corporation's "other things are more important" attitude toward the rink, although it is known that the situation has often been the subject of the group's discussions.

An unofficial drive, first started with a gift of $1000, from former hockey coach John P. Chase '28, at the close of the 1950 season, has met with no aid from the official University circles.

Two months ago, Bright donated $20,000 toward the building of a rink, and with dribbles of cash at earlier times, the rink fund total now stands at something over $21,000.

According to Chase, if his group, working with alumni, cannot stimulate the donation of the $600,000 needed for the construction of an indoor rink, they will at least press for the construction of an outdoor rink, or rinks, with artificial ice.