Lacrosse Team Tops N.H.; Makes 2nd Half Comeback

By Hiller B. Zoeel

DURHAM, N. H, May 7--New Hampshire aggressiveness and Harvard sloppiness were almost enough to give the Wildcat lacrosse team an upset victory here today, but the Crimson showed sufficient co-ordination and last-half improvement to gain a 7 to 5 triumph.

Until the Crimson attack began functioning late in the second period the visitors' victory chances looked as block as the gray sky overhead.

Wildcat attackman Dan Stone scored three consecutive goals after Ned Yost had given the Crimson an early 1 to 0 lead. Harvard seemed able neither to press an attack nor to keep up with the hustling Wildcats.

Baldwin Scores

Down, 3 to 1 as late as 6:26 of the second period, the Crimson finally went ahead with a three-goal burst of its own. Monk Aiello set up the tying counter, jarring the ball away from the crack New Hampshire goalie Fats Houley and passing to Moe Baldwin, who fired into an empty net. Baldwin put the Crimson one up a minute later with a fine hard side-arm blast. Houley tightened thereafter. Stone, meanwhile, scored his fourth tally shortly before the half to send the teams off the field tied, 4 to 4.

Yost scored the second of his three goals early in the third period from a goal-mouth melee to give the Crimson an edge it never relinquished. Baldwin; another three-goal performer, iced the game at 9:43 of the last frame after Captain Jay Byrne had advanced the ball from his own zone.

Coach Bruce Munro then sent in his reserves. Two minutes later, Wildcat Ed Sanborn shot the only score goalie Dick Thomas allowed in the last half. Yost, however, got this one back a minute before the end.