Crimson Nine Bows to Yale, 4-2, Before Eli Commencement Fans

NEW HAVEN, June 16--While 8.000 Old Blues roared beery approval, Yale's staggering baseball team utilized breaks and the superb relief pitching of Christy Emerson to slap a 4 to 2 defeat on the Crimson at Yale Field today.

Emerson's fine effort took most of the shine from the food relief hob turned in by the Crimson's own Rufe Webb. Rushed in to replace starter John Arnold in the very first inning, the little lefthander found the bases full, one run in and only one out.

Webb yielded a single to Bob Wahlers which knocked in a second tally, but a fine throw from left fielder Ben Akillian to Captain Charlie Walsh cut down another run at the plate and enabled Webb to extricate himself.

From then on-at least until the seventh--Webb gave up just three hits (one to Wahlers, who collected three altogether). He was in trouble only once, in the sixth, when woody Grumney and Tony Aguiar singled consecutively with two out. But Webb promptly struck olt his hurling rival--Dick Beresford--on three straight pitches.

Meanwhile, the Crimson sought vainly to shake Beresford. The visitors got a hit in each of the first four innings, but were unable to advance a man past second. Two double plays helped Beresford considerably.

The lanky Eli righthander had retired seven straight going into the seventh, and his two-run lead seemed secure. But Akillian led off the stretch frames with a lefty frights to deep left. When pinch. hitted Ail Switzer followed with a single to counter, Akillian came in and Beresford went out.

John Bjorn, his relief, got one out, but then permitted a walk and a force out to move Switzer to third, from whence he scored the tying run on Bob Smith's solid single to right.

Now Emerson, the ace of the Yale mound crew, came in to slam the door completely. He gave one Scranton safety--to Walsh, another three-hit producer--over the rest of the way, and gained credit for the triumph when the Blue cracked the tie in its half of the seventh.

That denouement came with sickening suddenness. Two walks sandwiched an infield hit to load the bases, and an infield error then scored the run which boat Webb. A quick recovery and fine throw by first baseman Russ Johnson out down another run at the plate, but then Wahlers--a more J.V. at the start of the year--touched Crimson reliever Bob ward for a line double to knock in the insurance tally. Coach Stuffy Melanins had in insert his fourth pit other of the day--pat Groper--before the inning could be ended.

Molnnis plans in send veteran right-hander Jack Demean against the Blue in the return match at Cambridge on Wednesday. Yale Coach Either Allen, pleasantly surprised at the double-play proficiency of his team--the Bulldogs engineered three, all pivoted by second baseman Aguiar--will counter with Emerson again, despite his workout today.

Harvard Best Score  ab  r  h  po  a  oSmith, of  4  0  2  2  0  0Robinson, rf  4  0  0  1  0  0Johnson, 1b  3  0  0  10  2  0Walsh (C) c  4  0  2  6  1  0Akillian, lf  4  1  1  2  1  0Wise, 3b  2  0  0  0  2  0Switzer  1  1  1  0  0  0Maezaks, 3b  0  0  0  0  0  0Clasby  0  0  0  0  0  0Crowley, 2b  3  0  1  0  2  1Sadowaki  1  0  0  0  0  0Krinsky, ss  2  0  0  1  1  1Donelan  0  0  1  0  0  0Scheer  0  0  0  0  0  0 Greeley, as  1  0  0  1  0  0Arnold, p  0  0  0  0  0  0Webb, p  3  0  0  0  2  0Ward, p  0  0  0  0  0  0Groper, p  1  0  0  0  1  0Totals  33  2  8  24  12