Law Man Caught Trying to Pilfer McCarthy's Name

Two University students and a Dartmouth sophomore saw a little illegal souvenir hunting turn into a national incident late in August.

Arnold Rubin '56, Robert I. Hammerman 3L, and Donald Aronson, Dartmouth '55, stopped for a moment to take a name-plate off Senator Joseph McCarthy's office door as a memento of their trip to Washington. Within a few hours, national wire services were feeding lengthy stories of how Senator McCarthy had captured three robbers trying to break into his office.

The actual facts are quite different. The three were in the process of taking the nameplate when McCarthy appeared and requested that the students step into his office. Police were summoned and after some questioning, it was agreed that the whole affair was a minor prank and the matter was apparently forgotten. McCarthy parted on good terms and even promised to send duplicate nameplates to each of the three students. Then came the publicity.

Rubin, Hammerman, and Aronson would like to forget the whold affair, Apparently McCarthy already has. The promised nameplates have not as yet arrived.