Reynolds Replaces Haines As 150's Fall Crew Coach

At the first meeting of this year's fall crew candidates last night at Newell Boathouse, varsity crew coach Harvey Love announced to 80-odd hopefuls that former oarsman Ted Reynolds would be the temporary 150-pound coach for the fall season.

Reynolds, a graduate of the College in the Class of 1950, will fill the shoes of Bert Haines, who retired last year after 33 years of coaching. Reynolds rowed number four on the 1950 varsity heavies, the crew which went to Henley, England, and won the Grand Challenge Cup. He is presently in the graduate school.

No permanent coach has been named as yet by the H.A.A., but Love said that he was considering applications from other graduate students for the spring job, if Reynolds does not carry on.

In view of the situation, Love told the lightweights, the attitude and ambition of the crew itself will be largely responsible for a successful season. Last year the 150-pound varsity lost only to Penn, who went on to win at Henley, while the J.V.'s wound up with a perfect record.

Phil DuBois, varsity crew captain, followed Love to tell the oarsmen that in material the varsity crew looks very good this year. DuBois said that the poor record of two wins in six races compiled by last year's varsity is the result of a crew that fails to come up to its potential.

DuBois admitted, however, that no boat last year, save the Olympic-winning Navy eight, ran up a consistently good record.