Cambridge League of Women Voters Lists Voting Requirements in November Election

1. Residence Requirements. A person must live one year in the state including six months in any particular town. (Same requirements for everyone desiring to vote in Massachusetts.)

2. Age Requirements. A person may register who will be twenty-one on election day.

3. Poll Tax. Males under 65 pay $2 annual tax. It is not requisite for voting but such payment is evidence of residence.

4. Registration Permanence. Registration is permanent if name continues to be carried forward on Police List made up in January.

5. Self-supporting. A Massachusetts Supreme Court opinion of 1843 says that a student must be self-supporting in order that it be legally recognized that he has established residence here. It is, however, up to each registration board to define self-supporting. Sentence from Court opinion defining "Self-supporting": "If he is emancipated from his father's family, and independent in his own means of support, it is immaterial from what place his means of support are derived." However, if a student in one particular town is supported by a father and/or mother residing in any other city or town of the Commonwealth or any other state, the student is considered a resident of the town where his father and/or mother reside--and he must vote absentee ballot to that state. Students living in dormitories, fraternities, sororities or rooming houses may or may not be considered as residents depending on whether or not they are self-supporting rather than on where they reside. Students supported solely by the G.I. Bill or scholarships are considered to be self-supporting.

6. State taxes paid elsewhere. Students paying taxes in another state are considered residents of that state and must vote absentee ballot to that state.

Cambridge Board of Election Commissioners, 362 Green Street, will be open for registration Sept. 18 through Oct. 3, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 to 5. Also the following: Sept. 23 through Oct. 2, Monday through Friday, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Special: Oct. 3, 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. This office is located in the Police Building in Central Square directly behind the Post Office Building.

Boston Board of Election Commissioners, 114 City Hall Annex, will be open for registration Sept. 17 through Oct. 3, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Also the following: Sept. 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, Oct. 1, 2 and 3 from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Exceptions: Members of the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy may appear to prove their qualifications as voters up to within 3 days before the election. Naturalized citizens must bring their papers.

for such operations, but says that the use

Absentee ballots. For information call League of Women Voters of Cambridge, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., KI 7-1437.