Borden Stevenson Defines Role in Father's Campaign

"Being introduced from the platform isn't too hard," is the conclusion Borden Stevenson '55 has reached about the current political scene as it affects him.

Stevenson, son of the Democratic nominee, Governor Adlai Stevenson, spent the latter part of the summer accompanying his father on tour around the country. But on all controversial questions, he is making no statements whatsoever, at least for publication.

"No, I don't feel particularly prominent or unusual, being the candidate's son," Stevenson said in an interview yesterday. "The only thing is that I have to be careful of what I say all the time.

"It's harder to make friends and be natural with other people, also," he continued, "but the main difference is the reporters, and the people who keep asking what it's like. They all do, sooner or later."

An old hand on the political front. Stevenson hinted that his father might be visiting Cambridge near the end of his current tour, when he hits Boston for a wind-up speech before the elections.

However, he gave no definite information on that subject, saying that he couldn't be sure until he had heard from the Governor, or one of his aides. He emphasized the fact that he had not been in touch with his father for some days.

Stevenson, now a resident of Eliot, attended Cheate School. He is confining his activities at Harvard, by his own statement, mainly to "keeping his head above water," although he did become interested in the French and Flying clubs last year. This year, however, he is mainly interested in national political developments.