Varsity Soccer Squad Has Depth; Munro Looks to Hopeful Season

Like Lloyd Jordan, soccer coach Bruce Munro has reason to expect a more successful season this year than last. Although Munro has lost his ace goalie and the whole halfback line from last year's starting team, he still has an excellent pair of fullbacks, and the first front line intact.

Besides this, after eight days of practice, at least five sophomores have shown enough promise so they may well break into the starting lineup by the opening game with Williams on October 11.

For the first time in recent years Munro has enough men to afford to juggle around his combinations. About 35 candidates are practicing daily on the Business School field, and with this depth Munro has put together two tentative lines, one an American power line, the other a foreign, skilled group. He is also experimenting with a variety of different halfback lines.

Leading the team are seven senior two-year lettermen, all experienced competitors. All-star captain Charley Ufford teams with Bob Sobel to make up a brilliant and dependable fullback combination. These two were the starters all last year. Behind them there is little depth, with Lou Tiger the only experienced candidate.

Win Knowlton, George Baker, Dana Getchell, Frank Davies and Berk Johnson are senior veterans on the forward line, while Steve Joyce, Johnny Beer, Juan Vollenweider and Juan Rodriguez saw much action as sophomores last year. Bernard Florin, though still in college, is unable to play this year.

Add to this array of experienced hands the sophomore contingent, and it is easy to see why Munro is pleased. Maurice Toro, Alex Haegler, Marvin Weiss, Care McIntosh and Bill Cowperthwaite have shown excellent form so far. Toro can provide the shot that was lacking in last year's attack, and Haegler is very fast and a good ball-handler.

Roger Taylor, last year's second-string goalie, will have to fill the shoes of Dick Craven, all-star 1951 captain, whose play upheld the team all year long. Behind Taylor is Pete Briggs.

The halfbacks are still completely undecided. Jim Callahan, Bobby Dean, Tony Zane, Ernie Young, and Jack Whiting are all in the running for a halfback post; with sophomores Haegler, Weiss, and McIntosh pressing hard.

Munro maintains it is still too early to name any starting squad. He must test the players in scrimmage and the condition of the men so far is not up to competition standards. Next year Munro may find trouble as most of his starting team is made up of this year's seniors. But at the moment, with the welter of new and old talent, he is looking forward to a pleasant fall.