Springfield in Top Shape; Bench Good, Seniors Few

Ossie Solem, a pleasant middle-aged man who is head football coach at Springfield College, is subject to all the ulcerous worries that beset members of his profession--all worries, that is, save one. Ossie never has to bite his fingernails over how many reserves his team will have, for Springfield is a physical education college and everyone who is anyone plays football.

Notwithstanding, Springfield lost to Harvard 21 to 13 last year and is an underdog in today's opener. In 1952 Solem brought down a heavy line that wasn't in shape and the resulting line play saw many Maroon injuries and missed tackles. This year's team has already scrimmaged Yale and the Coast Guard Academy, surviving both workouts in good condition.

But if Springfield looks to be in better shape this afternoon than it was a year ago, lack of experienced players may turn out to be Solem's new worry. He has only four seniors on his starting offensive eleven and a meager two on his defensive team. A horde of juniors and some sophomores comprise the rest of the squad.

Solem will use the single wing again, but those who have seen his team are high on its passing attack, which runs out of the T. Thus the Gymnasts may switch into the T quite frequently.

Harold Haines will be the key man in both formations. The 6 foot 1 inch junior will be the blocking back in the wing and then do the passing out of the Maroon's T. He may also do a lot of the team's kicking.

Haines' wingback will be a young man who made a very favorable impression in Cambridge last year, Joe Chandler. Then only a sophomore, Chandler drove through the Crimson line consistently despite a glaring lack of blockers. Although he was injured in the next game and was out for most of the season, the husky halfback was the team's second leading ground gainer, and averaged four yards a carry.

Norman Morris, a transfer from Wake Forest, who didn't play last season, will be at tailback. Morris reportedly looked very good against Yale, breaking away for two very long runs. Solem calls him a question mark and is uncertain as to how he'll stand up during the year. Morris runs to the right, while Chandler will run to the weak left side.

Solem has replaced the gaping hole at fullback left by the graduated Angelo Insalaco -- who ran 55 yards to score against the Crimson--with the untried but willing Norman Anderson. Anderson, who can do 100 yards in 9.9 but weighs only 165 pounds, is a very tough man--once past the line of scrimmage. His replacement will be another sprinter, Granville Roman.

The offensive ends are co-captain Jack Etter, and second leading receiver last season, and Chet Pilhowski. Pilhowski a 6 foot 2 inch junior was the team's leading receiver last year, grabbing 16 passes for 278 yards. Taking their places when the ball changes hands will be Al Sotir, a converted tackle, who saw limited service last year, and Carl Christensen, one of the defense's two seniors.

Co-captain Paul Ryan will play his first game at offensive tackle, having seen most of his previous service as a center. Teaming with him will be the only experienced tackle, 220 pound Ed Holenko, a boy who went both ways in 1951. Holenko will do most of the kicking--he averaged about 38 yards a boot last season. On defense, Fred Kavanaugh, a 6 foot 5 inch sophomore, will get his first trial, while Joe Marland, the other tackle, still has "a lot to learn," according to Solem.

John Leroy, a sophomore who ran from the fullback slot last season will start at inside guard, with George Dyer, a junior who didn't see much action in '51, at the other offensive guard post. Dyer, fast and strong, was runnerup in the New England 167 wrestling championships last year. On defense, 5 foot 10 inch Ken Hall will be at left guard. Hall is termed by his teammates "hard to move." At the other guard, and ready to drop back as line backer when Springfield shifts from its usual 6-2-2-1 alignment to a 5-3-2-1, will be sophomore Jerry Baker. Frank Treuthet will start his first game at center.

Springfield reportedy looked very impressive against Yale after spotting the Eli's three quick touchdowns. It is a team that has potential, but just how much can't be told until some time Saturday afternoon.