Fire Officials Declare Three Streets Near University Dangerous Hazards

Cambridge fire officials yesterday declared three streets near the Houses as "fire danger areas" and police promised that they would enforce parking regulations on the streets to the "fullest extent."

The fire officials classified Mill and Holyoke streets and Riverside Drive as dangerous because, they said, fire apparatus could not get to a posible fire with automobiles parked on both sides of the narrow ways.

Mill St. runs between Lowell and Winthrop Houses; Holyoke St. is in front of the Indoor Athletic Building; and Riverside Drive runs parallel to Memorial Dive from Winthrop to Leverett House.

Lowell In Danger

The danger classification came as a result of a survey conducted by Cambridge Police Traffic Captain Patrick McCarthy and Fire Chief John F. Collins. According to Captain McCarthy, they found cars double-parked, parked on side-walks, and parked at no-parking signs.

Chief Collins said that he though it impossible for a fire engine to reach the back side of Lowel, on any part of Winthrop or Leverett if fire should break out with cars on both sides of the street.

Captain McCarthy said the classification gives him the right to tow any cars, any time, if he feels the streets are over-crowded. Already the traffic bureau has handed out more than 100 warnings to automobile owners, and "ticketing won't stop now," said McMarthy.

McCarthy also said that police and fire-officials are consulting with the traffic board to see whether Row St. can be declared a danger street and permit parking only on one side of it.

The day-time parking drive is a fiarly new venture, but regulations against all night parking have always been enforced.