University Not to Open Geographical Institute

Trottenberg Quells Occupation Rumors

Rumors that the Geographical Institute would soon be reoccupied were definitely quelled yesterday by Arthur D. Trottenberg, Operating Manager of Houses and College Dormitories.

The long-vacant building will remain closed "for quite some time," Trottenberg said. "The University, has, at present, absolutely no intention using it."

Early last October, the University took possession of and closed the Institute for Geographical Exploration, after multimillionaire explorer Dr. A. Hamilton Rice '98 withdrew financial support of the building. Rice had provided funds for construction purposes, and he headed the Institute after it was completed.

The closing of the red brick structure on Divinity St. which had cost Rice $335,000, marked the end of one of the University's most bitterly-fought problems.

After Rice built the institute, he was appointed Professor of Geographical Exploration. A short time later, he gave the building to the University, with the understanding that he would contribute all financial support.

In 1948, when the University slashed appropriations for the Geography Department and eliminated Geography as a field of concentration, Rice decided that the heavy cost of maintenance was no longer worthwhile.

At last fall's closure Rice's wife charged the University with acting in an "ungracious and coldblooded manner during the whole affair."