Mid-Summer

At the Plymouth

By Robert J. Schoenberg

The miserable attendance for the Boston run of Mid-Summer is probably the fault of equally miserable weather. Any other explanation reflects discredit on local theater lovers, because it is a fine comedy.

Authoress Vina Delmar took a standard emotional cliche and embellished it with enough snappy dialogue to partially hide her lack of originality. Producers Paul Crabtree and Frank Hale did well in selecting three excellent actresses and one adequate actor for the lead roles. Crabtree finished the job with generally tight direction that seldom lets the pace drag.

There are no obvious weak spots in the play as a whole, but since Mid-Summer is not top-notch comedy I suppose that the plot's inadequacies are at fault. It is the story of a school-teacher turned songwriter who is looking for a quick buck. His wife, an illiterate but infinitely sweet woman, wants only the security that his return to teaching will bring. Three acts of his bright ambition struggling with her sweet conservatism end in an O. Henry twist made believable only by Geraldine Page's fine treatment of the wife's role. Her acting had little variety, but the part of a married ingenue called for consistency rather than flamboyance.

Mark Stevens, as the husband, was little better than his colorless role since he has only a natural style and likable manner. But his lack of brilliance highlights Vicki Cummings' sparkle as a lady whose repute is rather ill. Her lines feature gems such as Mae West tossed off in her salad days, and she lets them fall with delightful aplomb and ease.

The most amazing member of the cast is Ben Hecht's little girl, Jenny, who has the poise and sense of comedy timing that supposedly come only with grey hairs. The sight of nine-year-old Miss Hecht up-staging her elders and stealing scenes from them is almost as funny as her lines.

While its lack of originality keeps it from being classed among the great comedies, Mid-Summer is worth the braving of at least a mild blizzard. Perhaps the weather will be better in New York.