'Red Charges Cause Silence In Colleges, Group Decides

College educators throughout the country are becoming increasingly reluctant to express opinions on controversial issues, a panel concluded at the Eastern Regional Convention of the American College Public Relations Association held in Albany this week.

Dr. Carrol Newson, Associate Commissioner of Education in New York, said they are afraid of being labelled "pink" or "red" and, as a result, avoid not only communism, but all unpopular social or economic subjects.

The results of such a coorcive stifling of academic views were outlined by Dr. Harold Taylor, president of Sarah Lawrence College. Taylor said this attitude of forced conservatism is not only harmful in education, but could possibly lead to academic sterility.

"Freedom of Inquiry" Upheld

Taylor said he knew, from travel through the eastern half of the country that many respected faculty members dodge speaking on controversial issues.

Carter Davidson, Union College president, added that such "fear philosophy" can also detract from university programs to attract brilliant minds. He cited reluctance fo academic men to appear on radio or television because of fear of mis-interpretation and resulting accusation.

Development of greater trust in the "freedom of inquiry" was seen as the solution to the problem. Buell G. Gallegher of CCNY held that such freedom, in the long run, would balance charges being currently tossed at higher education.

James Case, Bard College president, believed that a great number of educators would "stand up and be counted" in support of such a development.

The panel, led by four college presidents, described this devolopment which is threatening academic freedom on the American campus.