Dorgan Backs Bill to Oust Communists From College

Thomas Dorgan, Clerk of the Suffolk Superior Court, has renewed his battles against Communism with the co-introduction of a State House bill to eliminate Communists and Red-sympathizers from colleges.

In addition, Dorgan yesterday called on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to carefully question President Conant before approving him for the German High Commissioner post. "He has been extremely soft as to Commie-front-minded professors," he wrote.

The new bill is designed to prevent such "laxity," for it would require college presidents to expel Communists and Communist sympathizers. "If this is done in a reasonable time," Dorgan explained, the state would then conduct a "proper, constitutional investigation."

He labeled talk of smears and witch-hunting as a "lot of bunk."

Sympathizers" Said at Harvard

The presence of Communists or fellow travelers in local colleges has been affirmed, he stated, by the testimony of FRI investigator Herbert Philbrick before the House Un-American Activities Committee. Philbrick said in late $951 that there were cells at both Harvard and M.I.T.

Dorgan asserted that several Harvard faculty members could be possible sympathizers on the basis of this and other evidence, One, he said, is a member of over 20 red-front groups. "If would be nice if we had a little quizzing here," Dorgan added.

Any academic freedom was disqualified. "College have no more freedom than anyone else," he asserted.

Hearing Postponed

Dorgan made clear that he was not in dicting Harvard as a whole. "One Commie in any college is bad, and we don't want any hiding, behind the world respected name of Harvard, he explained.

Hearing on the bill was scheduled Monday, but co-sponsor Paul A. McCarthy, a House representative, was ill, forcing postponement Meanwhile, the issue was the subject of further House discussion.

A necessary two thirds vote to suspend rules and act on his plan lost, 11899

Dongan and McCarthy authored the year old bill outlawing the Communist Party in Massachusetts.