Ella Revisited

At Storyville

By Robert J. Schoenberg

Ella Fitzgerald opened last Monday at Storyville. She wrapped herself around a few standards, slid into some bop, joked a bit with the eager audience, and once again proved that they just don't come any better this side of the Good Old Days.

She is back on the podium for the first time since a serious operation in December put her throat out of commission. She was nervous at first, opening with two sitting ducks, Exactly Like You and Keep It a Secret. These first numbers she hit casually and with a pronounced beat, just warming up. A voice from the floor asked for some bop. Ella gave the nod to her piano man, Hank Jones, and the audience knew that this was still the old Fitzgerald.

A casual delivery bringing everyone in the room up to the stage with her is still Ella's best asset. Her voice has lost nothing since the throat operation, and she seemed more relaxed than ever, once she had got past the first nervousness. Her stands were rather short, lasting only a little over fifteen minutes, but that was the only sour note of he evening.

Featured, as always, in her repertoire were bopped up standards. How High the Moon was there; If I Could Be With You and Mean to Me showed up too. One patron spoke for the audience when he shouted in response to her asking for requests: "Just sing Ella."

The house combination keeps things going during the intermission, and plays background for Ella. Storyville owner George Wein is good enough to hire himself for the piano spot, and on this sturdy trellis hang brighter bits of musical ivy.

Jimmy Wood, the house bass man and Jo Jones at the traps are both fine rhythm men who got a bit on their own when the spirit moves them. These three provide a strong beat for the smooth trumpet work of Ruby Braff.

The whole show is a delight, from Ella to the quartet. She closes Sunday, and is planning to tour Europe. So if you want to catch her, the time is now.