Police Crack H.L.U. Thefts Case; Suspect Returns Missing Money

Cambridge police officially closed the case of Liberal Union film proceeds thefts yesterday after the H.L.U. refused to press charges against the thief.

Liberal Union spokesmen said the $180 missing from the till after an H.L.U. showing of "The 39 Steps" before vacation was returned, and the club would not seek further action.

Police said they would not prosecute the man they had under suspicion.

An additional $70, missing from film proceeds after two previous performances, is still unaccounted for, however. Police said they were satisfied the suspect in the last theft did not commit the other two.

Two detectives grilled H.L.U. members for almost a week before vacation, and by Friday, December 19, told the CRIMSON they had narrowed their suspects down to one. Shortly after the College adjourned for the holidays, the lone suspect returned the $180. The Liberal Union had promised it would not press charges if the money was returned.

$70 Question Mark

Spokesmen for the club also said they were assured, if the police were, that this man was not responsible for the other $70. They added they had no leads as to what might have happened to this sum.