Winthrop Meets Lowell in House Football Opener

The opening gun of the House football season will sound at 3 p.m. this afternoon when Winthrop squares off against Lowell and Duster meets Kirkland in the first two games of the intramural season.

Untied, unscored upon Eliot--last year's champions--and powerful Adams will rest until tomorrow for their opening contests.

Of today's games, the dual between Dunster and Kirkland should be a standout. The Funsters will field an eleven built around seven returning lettermen who played on last year's fourth place club. Meeting the onslaught from D-house will be a Kirkland team which runs out of a T led by two speedy backs; Red Brennan at fullback and Marshall Tuton at quarterback.

Puritans Favored Over Lowell

An injured Lowell squad, without the services of quarterback Peter Hearst, will pit its single wing against a coming Winthrop eleven. The Bellboys have had trouble getting men to show up regularly at practice. On the other hand, the Puritans have had fairly regular attendance and expect to better their eighth place standing last season.

Toss-Up Tomorrow

In tomorrow's contest between Adams and Eliot, the result is a toss-up. Adams stands as the powerhouse of the league on the basis of pre-season showings in scrimmage. With practically the entire team returning, last year's third place Gold Coasters have used both single wing and T during practice and may use either against the Eliot T.

The Elephants have a club bolstered by three players from the junior varsity and four others who played regularly on last season's championship team. More than 25 men have shown up for drill.

Dudley's team stands as an unknown quantity, and will play an equally unknown Leverett House tomorrow afternoon. Both teams finished in the second division last season.

Bob Stargel, stand-out varsity tackle last season, coaches the Adams squad, while two third-year Law students, Bill Sawyer and Al Swetzer, head the Lowell House coaching staff.