Winthrop and Dunster Win; Top K-House, Lowell Elevens

Led by the passing of quarterback Jack Brophy, Dunster's football team defeated Kirkland 7 to 0 yesterday on the House football field. In yesterday's other inter-House game, Winthrop overpowered Lowell 13 to 0 on the running of Norm Hall, Bill James and Jerry Sheehy.

Dunster scored only once against Kirkland, but the game was never close as the Funsters held the Deacons to but two first downs, and 35 yards rushing. Dunster's touchdown came late in the second quarter on a Jack Brophy to Bill Bell pass that covered 20 yards. Larry Beies converted on a run.

Although Dunster threatened to score again several times during the game, Kirkland never penetrated beyond the Funsters' 30 yard line, as both running and desperation passing failed.

The only outstanding feature of an otherwise dull game was quarterback Brophy's passing. Brophy connected on eight of 11 tosses to ends Bell and Jim Wade. Halfbacks Boies and Ron Peyton also turned in some fine end runs, Peyton several of over 20 yards.

Puritans Take Over

The Winthrop Puritans gained control of the game early in the second quarter when Gordon Chase intercepted a Bellboy pass on the Lowell 35 and ran it back to the 15. Three plays later, Sheehy, a sophomore halfback, went over for the score. Ray Daley converted with a placement.

Later in the second quarter, Lowell made its deepest penetration of the game, reaching the two-inch line. But the Puritan line, led by Bill Glaser, held.

Norm Hall, the Winthrop left half, put the game out of reach on the first play of the second half with a sparkling 50 yard run to make the score 13 to 0. Hall's run was helpe dby a key block by Jim Honigbaum at the 35.

For the rest of the game, Winthrop, directed by sophomore Steve Endlar, confined itself to running plays, and amassed 175 yards.

Good Defense

Offensively, Lowell did poorly except for that one deep penetration. But the defense, bulwarked by tackle Sam Shaw, held the Bellboys well, the only lapse being on Hall's run.

Play for the other four Houses continues today, with Leverett facing Dudley and highly-favored Adams taking on Eliot, last year's champs, in a game that will have a strong influence on the title race.