Political Drum-Out

Not too long ago, when stripping an officer of his rank for reasons of cowardice or unbecoming behavior, the armed services would rip off his epaulets and break his sword. Today's Air Force is less symbolic but is also less strict in its requirements for being drummed out.

Reserve Lieutenant Milo J. Radulovich, a 26-year-old physics student at the University of Michigan, stands accused of being too poor a security risk to hold an Air Force Commission. Not that there is doubt as to his personal conduct. The Review Board emphasized that his loyalty appeared properly fervent. But several informants had alleged that his father, an emigre from Serbia and a retired automobile worker, habitually read Communist newspapers, both domestic and from his homeland. The Lieutenant's sister, moreover, was identified as a Communist sympathizer and a frequent fixture of picketlines.

At his loyalty hearing, Radulovich produced witnesses who swore that his father was not addicted to reading Communist propaganda. And, while not denying his sister's lapses of political good sense, he pointed out that his contact with her was slight, and certainly not of the frequent and close variety prohibited by the Air Force with people of suspect loyalty.

Nevertheless, the Review Board branded Radulovich with the stigma of disenrollment for security reasons. This means that his future as a physicist will be limited to positions of little trust and less national value. The government does not hire physicists whose loyalty status, even by implication, is poor, and private industry is almost as severe in awarding choice jobs. Despite his personal clearance, and seven year service in the Air Force Reserve, to many people his release will always be tantamount to a dishonorable discharge. And he will always be considered a security risk.

Even had Radulovich's relatives proved to be card carrying party members, it would be wrong to so blot his record with this summary action. It is the mark of totalitarian institutions to attack a man for his family's political defection. When the Air Force received accusations against his family, it was proper to check on Radulovich's own political sentiments. But when they were cleared absolutely, the case should have ended. Guilt by bloodstream is no more impressive a condemnation than is guilt by casual association.