New Haven Band Trial Postponed

The New Haven trial of Peter H. Strauss '54 and Edward K. Upton '53 1G--originally scheduled for this morning--has been postponed indefinitely on appeal from the Harvard men's lawyers.

Strauss, undergraduate band manager, and Upton, a bandsman, were arrested early Saturday morning when the band serenaded Yale in New Haven. They were released on bail, and the trial scheduled for 9 a.m. this morning.

But after consulting with their lawyers, a postponement was granted. The trial may be held tomorrow, or may be delayed until next week. No date has been set yet.

Yesterday, a University official stated that no matter what the outcome of thee trial, Strauss will probably not be put on probation.

How It All Began

The trouble started when four busloads of bandsmen en route to Columbia Saturday stopped and marched through Yale, awakening undergraduates and summoning the New Haven police. Strauss and Upton were arrested.

A Yale Daily News reporter, Theodore Wilkinson, who witnessed the incident, said last night that he expected nothing to come of the trial.

"Except for a few guys who were awakened, most of the people down here enjoyed it. Some were sleeping, but most got a kick out of watching it."