New Post Office Now Under Construction

A new $100,000 post office is now being built on Mt. Auburn and Story Sts., replacing the old, overcrowded structure around the block in Brattle Square.

The building, now nearly half completed, is being constructed and will be owned by Samuel W. Poorvu, contractor, according to specifications provided by the government.

The yearly lease cost of the brick building is estimated at $20,000.

Post office officials expect to shift quarters after the first of the year. Construction should be finished about Dec. 31, and possibly sooner, Poorvu said yesterday.

Architecture will be of brick colonial style, designed to harmonize with nearby University buildings.

The new building, one and a half stories, will provide the branch office with 2300 square feet of added floor space. "Because of the added room, and loading space, mail delivery in the area should be facilitated," a postal official noted.

Interior Streamlining Due

Interior streamlining should also speed up service, he added. A new bank-type counter and modern fluorescent lighting are being installed. "These should help eliminate much of the waiting inside the post office," the official said.

The old building will now be leased to a private commercial firm, according to Poorvu. The post office lease expired Sept. 30, but an extension was granted until March 31, 1954, to allow ample time for moving.

The owner of the old structure has abandoned previously announced plans to rase the building in order to make room for a parking lot.