Culver Leads Ground Attack in Scrimmage

The varsity football offense was in fine fettle yesterday afternoon with backs Dick Clasby, John Culvor, and Frank White pounding out repeated first downs against Coach Bob Margarita's freshman eleven in a ten-minute scrimmage.

While quarterback Bob Hardy called only running plays on the wet field, the second varsity team varied its offense with ground and air plays for its ten minutes against the Yardling defense. Fullback Brian Reynolds and halfback Carroll Lowenstein piled up most of the yardage for Lloyd Jordan's team.

Davidson Offense

Before the '57 team took the field, Jordan put his first line and second backfield through a defensive scrimmage against the junior varsity version of the Davidson offense. Simultaneously the first backfield and second line ran offensive plays in a dummy scrimmage with second string jayvees.

Bob Cowles limbered up in a sweat suit during the two-hour session. Regular wingback for the varsity, he suffered a shoulder separation in the Columbia game. It is still too early in the week, however, to determine whether he will play against Davidson on Saturday.

Another Crimson back working out again after a long lay-off was sophomore fullback Bill Volmer. Volmer had worked himself up to the first reserve behind John Culver before suffering a bad leg injury in a practice session nearly three weeks ago.