H.A.A. Studies Proposal On Ending Ticket Lines

Felt Presents Draft Of Athletic Council Proposal to H.A.A.

Student discontent over the weekly battle for football seats brought positive action last night, as the Undergraduate Athletic Council drafted a new distribution plan that would completely revise the present system.

The Council proposal will go before officials of the Harvard Athletic Association at a session scheduled for this morning. Although the Council hopes the plan will go into operation by the Brown game, prolonged debate may prevent its use until the 1954 season.

End of Lines

As worked out at last night's meeting, the tentative proposal has four main points:

1. Abolition of all waiting in line for tickets.

2. The H.A.A. would place a box in the ticket office for each undergraduate class. By a given date students would place an envelope containing up to four bursar's cards and the necessary money for extra tickets in the H.A.A. box.

3. The ticket staff would fill the envelope requests one class at a time. Requisitions would be handled at random. It would make no difference in seat allocations when the requests were handed in.

4. Purchasers would get their ticket requests at their House dining halls or at the Dudley Commuter Center. Freshmen in the Yard would pick up their seats at the Union.

This general outline will be presented by Assistant Athletic Director Donald M. Felt '49, who attended the Undergraduate Athletic Council meeting. He will speak to Director of Athletics Thomas D. Bolles, Ticket Manager Frank O. Lunden, and H.A.A. Business Manager Carroll F. Getchell.

Other Seat Plans

In the meantime, Felt and Council members will telephone other universities, including Yale, for other ideas on ticket distribution. The Council will next meet on Thursday. If at that time current plans and hopes materialize, the committee will be able to draw up a final draft acceptable to the H.A.A.

If the University approves the plan, the Council will immediately start a full scale publicity campaign to inform students about the new system.

One of the prime motives behind the UAC's proposal was Monday's mass rush of seniors against H.A.A. ticket office, causing confusion and consternation to all.