Tonight at 8:30

at the Beacon Hill

Perhaps if it rained more in Southern California, there would be a little competition for British film comedy. As it is, Tonight at 8:30 so far outstrips any effort on the American scene that comparison is impossible. Imported to the screen from a Noel Coward production, the film presents three unrelated one act plays, "The Red Pepers," "Fumed Oak," and "Ways and Means," any one worth the price of admission.

In each play Coward masters a different type of humor, the first, slapstick, the second, strict dialogue, and last, absurd situation. because deft, definitive character portrayal makes the film, the abilities of the actors are paramount, and direction by the author, though quite adequate, is of secondary importance. The acting is clever and witty, fitting perfectly Mr. Coward's lines.

The slapstick phase, "The Red Peppers," involves a husband-wife song and dance team who have trouble getting bookings and losing their pride. All ends happily, though, as Kay Walsh and Ted Ray, playing the leads, succeed in turning on the sprinckler system and drenching the complaining manager.

"Fumed Oak" is the funniest if the lot. For years Stanley Holloway, the husband, has been a perfect breadwinner. When, one night, he comes home moderately looped, his wife says, "Coming home drunk, well, I'll give you apiece of my mind." Holloway counters with "It will have to be a very small piece, you don't have much to spare." Such exchanges continue with a regularity and plane of wit that is indeed wonderful. The reductio ad absurdum of "Ways and Means," a parasite couple of the international set who induce a burglar to rob their hostess is a pleasant cordial to end the film. Valeric Hobson and Nigel Patrick play the leads.

In all Tonight at 8:30 is brilliant, reserved comedy. The direction is good, the color photography is good, and the acting superlative.