Harriers Meet Princeton, Yale for Big Three Trophy

Varsity cross country harriers, rated underdogs to Yale, will defend the Big Three Trophy Cup against the Elis and Princeton in the Big Three meet at Princeton this afternoon. The Yardlings will also race against the Princeton and Yale freshmen at Nassau today.

The Crimson upset Yale last fall to win the cup, and Coach Bill McCurdy's once-beaten team hopes to repeat today. Varsity chances rest upon a victory by Captain Hal Gerry and strong races by Hubie Maguire, Emil San Soucie, and Don French.

Yale's harriers have unusual strength and depth and have lost only one meet, to Cornell, the Heptagonal champions. Four Bulldog seniors, Captain John Clearly, Martin Duckworth, John Meader, and Joe Albanese, have been bunched closely in meets this year. McCurdy's hopes for victory depend on Maguire, San Soucie, and French breaking up the tightly knit Yale group, as they did in last year's meet.

Mills Holds Course Record

Princeton, third last year, is not expected to improve today. The Tiger squad, however, has the individual favorite for the race in Captain Ed Mills, who holds the Nassau course record.

Other Crimson candidates will include Frank Nahigian, Bill Engs, Paul Beck, Jerry Whatmough, John Bidwell, Jim Gerry, and Ken Wilson. AI Wills, a freshman seensation last year, has been ill all season but may start.

Flu Strikes Yardlings

The race will be scored triangularly for the Big Three Trophy Cup and also as three dual meets.

In the freshman race, Princeton, running on its home course, has the edge over the flu-stricken Yardlings. Captain Bill Morris and Dave McLean, the top Crimson runners, both have severe colds. This is the first time the undefeated Crimson '57 harriers have not been the favorites.

With Morris and McLean ailing, Princeton's Vodrey and Frankhouser are favored to win and place. To win the meet, the Yardling top five, Morris, MeLean, Dick Wharton, Jim Cairns, and Phil Williams must come in solidly ahead of the Tiger third, fourth, and fifth men. Yale has was only one meet this fall, and is figured to come in third.

Also starting for the Yardlings will be Bob Holmes, Dick Norris, Don Yaceshyn, Bob Porter, Gabe Mirkin, Frank Gladney, and Mark Michelson.