Schools, Boston and the NBC

Come rain, or much less likely, come shine, Boston's election day next week will probably see one of the smallest voter turnouts in the city's history. Under the Plan A system in which representatives are chosen from the entire city, issues can no longer be personified in the clash between two men. And to make the situation even duller, there will not be a mayoralty race this year to interest voters.

So far only one topic approaching importance has been manufactured. The report for reorganizing Boston's schols, the so-called Harvard Plan, has been distorted on all sides to gain quick, inexpensive publicity.

The report, which calls for consolidation of Boston area schols, is easy to defend or attack. Its supporters can point to the fact that it was the result of long and necessary study by the Graduate School of Education. By 1960, the report urges the closing of over sixty old, half empty schools and the building of close to thirty new buildings where they are most needed. The plan would mean reshuffling students, of course, and it is here that the opposition to the program has focused attention. Some mothers, it seems, get quite emotional when they must bundle Abigail off for an extra eight-block track each morning. That the situation in cost cases is only temporary until completion of the building operation is lightly dismised now. These mothers live, and vote, in the present. There is also the problem of students from tight racial or religious communities being sent to a less homogeneous ethnic environment.

This situation, one which time would best right, is a natural battleground for an emotive politician. Mike Ward, in the legendary tradition of ward politicians, is such a man. colorful, hard and often wildly swinging, with a strong personal following. It was of little wonder, then, that Ward finished first in September's preliminary vote for School Committee.

What is a wonder, however, is that Ward, even if he is elected to the School Committee, will have a difficult time combining with politicians of his ilk to block constructive measures like the Schools Report. The New Boston Committee is the reason for this recent improvement in Boston politics. The commitee is no panacea; it is no machine. And the candidates it endorses are not always qualified in every respect for office. They are generally, however, the pick of the field.

Qualified Candidates

The NBC is a group of over two hundred citizens interested in good government. Though supported to a large extent by Republicans, the NBC is endorsing this year only one member from that party. Oakes, the only NBC-supported candidate to lose in the primary, was also a Republican--qualified for office but still a Republican. Boston voters would have none of this. For the NBC, then, candidate stands on individual issues outweigh party labels.

Of the five people nominated by the NBC, three are incumbents and have worked for the School Plan despite objections from the other two board members and Superintendent of Schools Haley. All persons with the NBC loses strength from this freedom. All five on the Committee slate have approved the School Plan, however, and intend to carry it through.

On the nine-man City Council, there is an even greater dearth of campaign subjects. Again the NBC has investigated the candidates and prepared a listing of the nine men best suited for the posts. It can only be stressed that under Plan A the candidates themselves lose incentive for speaking out. There are nine spots on the ballot and silence on controversial issues cannot alienate votes here and there. Personalities enter into consideration less and less.

Some candidates have substantial records and good reasons for endorsement. Piemonte, for example, has fought hard and long for a stabilizing assessment policy for Boston.

About others, like Lee, who is running for the School Committee, there does arise doubt as to the soundness of their political aims and beliefs. In between extremes on the NBC, slate are men like Muchnick who is apt to be high-handed in personal dealings. Muchnick, on the other hand, is credited by some observers as having the single largest part in bringing out the School Plan and getting it adopted.

But when an NBC candidate seems to slip from the ideal of a public servant, there is an antedote to misgivings in examining the other candidates. It will take more than an NBC to purify Boston politics completely. But the committee is a start, weakened by the lack of patronage, but worthwhile and well-directed. The NBC again deserves the support of the Boston voters for its slate.

When candidates were nominated by the NBC in late summer, much was made of the wrangles over which men deserved endorsement. Friends and foe of the NBC stood by wondering, apprehensive or exulting that whether this internal strife might mean end of the Committee's effect and, indeed, its existence. But it should be clear that this disagreement among members is the best thing possible for the NBC. It will be time to wory only if the meetings begin showing signs of oiled slickness. The NBC thrives on controversy and if chance for controversy ends it will mean a foothold for return of city bosses.