Hard-playing Soccer Team Defeats Brown Squad, 3-1

The season's largest crowd at the Business School Field watched the year's best exhibition of aggressive soccer Saturday as the Crimson rolled to an impressive 3 to 1 victory over Brown.

With a revamped lineup and a steady stream of substitutions, the Crimson kept the Bruin goal under fire throughout the fray, taking a total of 24 shots while the opposition managed to get way with a more eight.

Marv Weiss took individual honors with two last goals. Bill Cowperthwaite set up the first with a cross from his right wing position which Weiss booted in from just outside the cage. Godfrey Truslow assisted on the second with a long boot from left wing which Weiss headed in. On both goals the Brown goalie was caught flatfooted, having been drawn to the other side of the goal by the assisting wing.

The first Crimson goal came on a corner kick at 3:55 of the second quarter. Bob Lloyd booted it in to give the Crimson a lead which it never relinquished.

Brown sandwiched its lone goal between Weiss's two last period tallies. Center forward Chick Swanson got past the Crimson fullbacks and beat Crimson goalie Lindsay Fischer.

Last Home Game

Fischer played the entire game and had a very easy time of it in his first full length appearance. Juan Rodriguez, his outstanding fullback, took care of nearly all Brown threats before they materialized. Veterans Bob Dean and Rusty Macintosh and sophomore Denny Little played excellent games at their halfback positions, keeping the ball in Crimson territory for nearly three quarters of the game.

Grif Buttrick started at right wing, replacing Bill Lingelbach, who sprained an ankle in practice last week. Buttrick very nearly scored with two long shots from the side. He also set up several shots with excellent crosses from his wing.

Alex Haegier, pictured above, is he team's high scorer this year.

This was the last home appearance of the squad, which takes on Yale at New Haven next Friday. The freshmen meet the Eli freshmen at the same time.